CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart. I will make you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Sunday, January 24, 2010

To Clarify

I just want to make sure - Snarky Mom made a good point.

I DO know that not everyone should adopt. Its isn't a decision to take lightly.

But I DO think that many people who would qualify and make great adoptive parents don't.

I have heard some of the dumbest reasons as to why not.
-I couldn't take someone else's child and look at them the same way-

or.... I loved this one... about domestic adoption... as I was telling them our own adoption story with Kinsey... "I couldnt take a child and then when they turn 18 leave us to go back to their real family".

Or... as they sat with me and my daughters... "You know, you just want your daughter to be your own"... um.... my daughter IS MY OWN.... and she is a daddy's girl... and her daddy wondered if he would ever have that special bond with his biological daughter that he does with his first daughter!

Another point Snarky Mom made -

Adoption should never be out of pity or guilt.

I know that.

And if you do it for that reason then you are headed for trouble.

The church still sucks at adoption - whether international or foster care.

In fact I think it sucks worse at foster care and adoption from the system.

Thanks Snarky Mom - now I will get ticked about this too.

There are hundreds of thousands of kids in the foster care system... in our own communities ... and we don't step up.

The govt has taken over where the church has failed.

AND THE CHURCH HAS FAILED.

I don't even count us as "foster parents" because we have only had two kids placed with us for a minimal time. WE (my family) ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH. I KNOW THAT.

It only makes sense to me that if a child needs a home for a temporary or permanent amount of time that Jesus followers would step up and take that child.

Again... not everyone is equipped to do that. Not everyone is qualified. But many families are. And they don't. Some agencies are very supportive and helpful (like ours).

Many children need specialized care and can only be in certain homes. But many can be in your home - in my home.

As the church - shouldn't we have a true love for these children? As a mother - how does your heart not ache for these children? I could spend hours looking at heart galleries. Its a group of pictures and kids available for adoption in the United States. You know so many of them just want that mom and dad to love them. As a parent - how can you not FEEL that need for them to?

Not everyone IS cut out for adoption. But many are. And those many don't.


ps. another thing that irritates me (and i will blog about this later) but how in the world are people open to adopting a black or african child from another country but not a black child within our own country? UGH

4 comments:

The Semi-Domesticated Mama said...

We've got some of those comments to- "we could never love someone else's child as much as our own" etc. Makes me want to go postal. I just don't understand that type of thinking at all and I never will.

Crystal-I wasn't implying that you didn't know the reasons why some people shouldn't adopt- I hope it didn't come across that way.

Funny story about interracial adoption. My family is multi-racial. Asian, asian-caucasian, caucasian, african american-polynesian...we're a regular melting pot. My kids think families of only one color are the odd ones. My DD came home from a playdate with a friend who has 4 siblings- they are all caucasian. She kept talking about how she felt so sorry for them that they all had to be the same color. LOL!

..... said...

No... I didn't think you thought that :)

I was just clarifying for everyone else. :) I had once posted a similar post on facebook and people got very... umm... mad lol.

:)

Love the story about your girl lol. Its true isn't it? I don't get the fear people have of children or family members of another ethnicity. I love diversity - other cultures... learning about them and experiencing them. True america IS the melting of and mixing together of color :)

HELLO that white baby you adopt isn't gonna look like you anyway no matter if its white or not lol !

The Semi-Domesticated Mama said...

Heck my own biological children don't look a thing like me. When I'm out with all my kids people and people comment about them, I share about adoption and those people automatically assume that ALL my kids are adopted LOL!

..... said...

You know I picture YOU as a grown version of your daughter.... hmmmm