CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart. I will make you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Adopting from Haiti & ...

I have seen many people comment that they would love to adopt from haiti after seeing the devastation that is there. The need for families of these children who lost their parents in the earth quake... the poverty they see and the compassion they feel makes them want to act.

What I don't understand is how they don't see that need EVERYWHERE. There are MANY countries that are incredibly poor with millions of orphans. Haiti is not the only country in need. I am not trying to minimize their need. And if you want to adopt from there that is great. I am just saying that the need is everywhere.

While researching Ethiopia these were some facts about their country:

* per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa

*One third of the population survive on less that $1 (USD) a day

*one out of every 20 children born alive, die in their first month of life

One in ten children die before their first birthday•

One in six children die before their fifth birthday•

44% of the population of Ethiopia is under 15 years old•

60% of children in Ethiopia are stunted because of malnutrition•

The median age in Ethiopia is 17.8 years•

1.5 million people are infected with AIDS (6th highest in the world)•

720,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS alone, and there are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia.•

Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school. 88% will never attend secondary school.•

Coffee prices (Ethiopia’s only major export) fell 40-60% from 1998-2002.•

Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000
I am sure if you research other countries you will find this same kind of devstating news. There are MILLIONS of orphans in need.
ALL. OVER. THE. WORLD.
So if you want to adopt an orphan in need
and its not going to work out adopting from Haiti...
Consider another country.
There are many.