For as long as I can remember I have had a heart for missions. I have always had a love for other cultures and other countries... even other cultures in my own country. My first missions trip didn't happen until I was a sophmore in high school but my love for other cultures started long before that. I can remember being quite young and my parents/grandparents would set up a correspondence between me and missionaries from our church. I would write them letters, ask for pictures and I would put them in a scrapbook. When the missionaries would come back on break I would get to meet them. I was involved in AWANA and I was able to write letters to a group in Africa who had an AWANA program. They sent several pictures of them in their uniforms... playing their games... their group.
I just loved learning about these different countries and the ways that these missionaries were changing their world.
Going to a Christian high school we went on a missions trip every year. First year we went to Mexico and worked with an orphanage. The second year to inner city Chicago to work with Jesus People USA, and also special missions trip with just me and one other student to Kenya, Africa. My third year we went to the Dominican Republic.
I didn't take any missions trips during my college years - thats my biggest regret I think. Kyle and I went to England & Scotland for our honeymoon which was great - but no missions trips.
While I was getting my masters at Grace they had a class called Social & Cultural Issue. I *LOVED* it. Learning to counsel different people groups and learning about other countries. Along with the class was a missions trip to Ukraine. I was four months pregnant when we went on the trip, which wasn't a good combination with flying - but whats a little bit of vomit?
I have always had a heart for missions. I know God has called me to be a mom and a wife. God has been showing me that I have my own little mission field here at home.
I have kept saying to myself (since that trip) that I would post about the amazing experience I had ... I kept saying when I really had some time. Well... its been a year and a half since I got back and I still haven't posted. Sooo... I will soon. With pictures.
Thats another piece of where my passion for the fatherless is from. I have met them. I have experienced them.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Missions
Posted by ..... at 7:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Hi,
My name is Kim Anderson and I work at Awana headquarters in suburban Chicago. I read your blog post about your Awana experience and how it helped deepen your heart for missions. I'd love to hear more of your story!
I write stories for the Awana Web site about how God has used the ministry of Awana in people's lives. Would you be interested to tell me more of your Awana experience?
I can be reached at kima@awana.org. I look forward to hearing from you!
Kim Anderson
Post a Comment