CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart. I will make you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Monday, January 19, 2009

I've been thinking about them lately....

The last few days they have been on my mind more than usual. It's been a couple months since I have heard from them so it just makes me wonder how they are doing and if they are making it alright.

We have an open relationship with Boo Boo's first family - her first grandma "R" who is a mere 33 years old herself, her first mom "C" who is about to turn 16 years old in Feb, and her first aunt "A" (12 years old) who doesn't even know about boo boo's existence. The fact that "A" doesn't know that boo boo exists is interesting in and of itself. She is the same age as my sister, my sister who LOVES being an aunt to boo boo. I wonder how she will respond when she finds out someday. You know, it's funny... I didn't realize C would be 16 until I just wrote that out. Time sure flies doesn't it? She had just turned 14 when Boo Boo made her way into the world.

I don't talk about boo boo's first family much when I talk about adoption - not because I don't want to - but because I don't get asked about them much. Maybe people assume that I don't want to talk about them. Maybe they think it hurts me to think about it. It doesn't... but I can see why it would be awkward to ask me about. Maybe its because not many people can understand. I guess I just like people knowing how great they are. There is such a negative attitude towards "first families" I think... and I never want anyone to view them that way....

It was the beginning of October since the last letter from them... but I know they are busy. "R" is a single mom herself trying to raise two girls in this crazy world. Not an easy task. I am excited for her though - she and "C" are taking classes at local colleges! Its exciting, seeing them go for their dreams. Without much family support R is doing all she can for her girls. When I see single moms trying to make it, I think of her and how difficult it can be.

Its funny, when I look at boo boo I don't see someone else's daughter - I see mine. But when I look for C in her I can find her. C loves animals - always has.... so does my boo boo. I like this think its from both of us :) That was a plus for her when she picked us to be boo boo's parents. You know when we first met C and she was asking about where we lived etc. one of the things she asked was what pets we have :) Then she asked if it snows.... when we said "Yes" she responded with "Lucky". Makes me smile even thinking about it. She responded "Lucky" when we talked about Kyle working on a buffalo farm, Kyle's parents living on a farm, and all the siblings in my family. I think those were C's favorite things about us. C's mom R's favorite things about us was that we knew Jesus. She wanted her very first grand baby to know Jesus, grow up in church and have a family that dedicated her to God.

I feel like they are our family in a weird sort of way... I think about them, care about them... I can't wait to send them pictures of different things boo boo is doing that I know they would enjoy. I have requested lots of family pictures of theirs and I am putting all their letters in a binder for boo boo when she gets older. I hope that will give her a sense of the love they have for her.

I think that is one of the reasons that the relationship between My Love and boo boo is so special to me. Boo boo's first mom doesn't have a dad that is around. That means that boo boo is the third generation without a father that is present. But her daddy - my love - has broken that cycle. Its beautiful to see that relationship. It breaks my heart that C doesn't have that. That she doesn't know what it could be like to have such a great dad.


I hate it when people say things like "Oh boo boo is so much better off now" or "Its sad that they didn't love her!". I want to shout at them - "Don't you know - thats why they did what they did!" I want to tell them that they adore my beautiful little boo boo.... But that this is what was best for her. I just feel so blessed that God is using us to raise her. Because she is absolutely amazing and I can't imagine life without her. :)

Thanks for letting me talk about them.... it makes it easier. I love to talk about them.

0 comments: