CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart. I will make you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Not good enough?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Women decide they don't want to be pregnant so they terminate their pregnancy. People decide they wouldn't want a child of her color so they wait years for a family.

I look at my daughter and wonder how anyone could possibly entertain the idea that her life is worth nothing. Women end the lives of their children for petty reasons - selfish reasons. We don't know who her father is - is that reason to not want her? She had no prenatal care - so is she not as valuable? I wonder how someone waiting years for a child would pass my daughter up because she isn't the "right" color of skin. Look at my daughter - isn't she beautiful? Are we so consumed with wanting "perfection" that the sanctity of each life is in question?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Created in God's image and crafted by his hand. She is absolutely perfect. She is flawless. Her tiny nose and her perfect fingers. Her gorgeous head full of hair. Her beautiful dark eyes. She is our daughter and no other is above her. She is capable of bringing so many to the Kingdom of God. It is very emotional for me to hold her, love her, kiss her and then think that there are people out there who do not view her as worthy. Who are you to believe so highly of yourself that this beautiful daughter of the king is not as "worthy" as you?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This tiny life is faced with racism before she is out of the womb. Families decide that a child with her color wouldn't "fit well" with their family. Can you believe it? Can you imagine someone having the nerve to tell me she isn't the absolute best? These feelings give me a look into the heart of God. These are HIS children - his creation - his handy work. And yet many dismiss them as second best.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Her eyes are a wide and beautiful. She looks up at me and just stares... is that a smile? :-) When she cries, one of us hold her close to our bodies and she knows she is safe. We didn't conceive her - but she is ours. I love her more than I can express. She is daddy's princess and he is her protector. She is our daughter. And despite what people think - she is perfect and we would not change a thing about her for the world.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Yes, my daughter was a result of a rape. Something so ugly and evil. . . . but God took the ashes and created something incredibly beautiful. She is a testimony of God's grace, of his love and his desire to heal the hurt. Her biological mother and grandma could have turned away from God because of this - but they didn't. Instead they turned to God and found themselves drawn to Him - the comforter and healer.

In my trauma class I was introduced to Isaiah 61:2-3 ... but I saw it first hand in the life of my daughter and her biological family:
"To proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion - to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor!"

3 comments:

mommyof2boys said...

Hi - I seen your link to your blog from the bethany boards. My husband and I adopted a little boy last October. We only waited 3 weeks and were matched with our son's birthmom. I really believe and tell everyone that our adoption was God's timing. We are young (I was 25 at the time) and had been ttc for 5 years with no luck. We were very open to what we would accept and we were in the minority program and had expected to be waiting at least a year or more and expected to be placed with a minority child. Well God had another plan we were placed with a caucasion infant who is perfectly health and aboved average in everything. His mom did not have prenatal care and did not know the father (who we now know through a paternity test). But our agency (bethany of MO) had over 30 families waiting - only a small handful wanted to be shown - we were one and I too can't understand how anyone could say no to any baby. God has a plan and he isn't going to give you more than you can handle. I have enjoyed looking back and the wonderful pictures of your family. Best wishes! Amy (waitingmama from the Bethany boards)

Dawn said...

Oh, how I agree with everything that you said!!! Your daughter is a beautiful gift from God. Who are we to refuse such a gift? I wish your family all the best for the future!!! It will be bright with His light.

Created For His Glory said...

Preach it sister!!!

Momma to 8 incredbile children under 8.... 5 Asian and 3 African/American