CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart. I will make you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Some news on David


Many of you may be unaware but Kyle and I have been in the process of adopting a young boy named David from the foster care system currently residing in Texas...He turned 12 last month. We were selected as adoptive parents in May and we have been waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the paperwork to be completed to bring him home. So here we are in October, 5 months later, still waiting for this paperwork to finish up. Well today we received some news on our little boy. . . . yes, he is our little boy. Our social worker called about travel arrangements related to Kinsey and she wanted to let us know that yesterday or the day before she got a call from David’s adoption worker. His worker called to let her know that his counselor has suggested that the adoption be put on hold for them to work out some issues David is dealing with. I asked if we could continue to get the paperwork completed (because they still didn’t know how long the paperwork would take) so that way when he has worked everything out he could come home. That’s when she informed me that his social worker made it sound that he may never be available to be adopted by anyone. My first thought was: You were told this yesterday – or the day before and you are just now calling to tell me?? Did she not think this was something that was important enough to make a phone call? Does she not know how this little boy has stolen our heart and become part of our family we were so anxiously waiting to bring home? My family asks about him every time we talk, wanting to hear the latest on when we can bring him home.

My hurt turned to anger as I thought of all the selfish people who have made this little boy’s life what it is…. The foster parents he called mom and dad who he lived with for years who only wanted to adopt his two very young siblings – they told him that if he was “good” they would adopt him too… His next foster parents were abusive and when they heard he would be removed told him that they had planned on adopting him (because that’s all he has wanted) … and those foster parents who emotionally crushed this little boy by telling him that not even his family loved him. Who looks a little boy in the eye and says something like that? All he has ever wanted was to be loved, to be part of a family. He has no behavior problems but he does sometimes have crying fits because he doesn’t understand why no one wants him and wonders what is wrong with him. This little boy has been adoptable since he was 4 years old and for the last 8 years foster parents have been jerking him around promising to adopt him and then not following through. This little boy is hurting, he just wants a family.

We don’t know what issues he is currently dealing with but all I can think about is the people who brought him to this point in his life and the people who contributed to his feelings of shame and worthlessness. The only thing we can do for David is to pray for him, pray for his healing of all the hurts and disappointments in his life. So think of David and bring him before Jesus. We don’t know if David will ever be able to get the family he has always wanted and that breaks our hearts, but we hope that someday he can come home.

I just wish I could give him a hug and let him know how much we his family here love him, despite his flaws (that we ALL have)... that unconditional love that everyone needs to know is there. I will always love David, and he will always have a place in my heart... I hope some day he finds healing.

3 comments:

Jake and Emily said...

How deeply sad this situation is. I hope you get some more news soon. Your family will be in my prayers...

SimplyTamiK said...

Crystal, My heart is breaking for you and David. We are foster parents of a beuatiful 17 month old and hope to adopt him once he's leagally free. I can't stand "The system" and how it works in the detriment of a lot of children, not the benefit. Praying for you all. And please know not all foster parents are awful. I'm sorry that David was treated so poorly by so many adults in his life. God bless you.

Created For His Glory said...

Congratulations Crystal! Us praisemoms are all still praying for you!!!

Liam says "Hi" :)

Blessings,
Kim
(PS... I can vouch for Tami...she's an awesome fostermom!!!)